Basic Tips for Using LinkedIn Effectively
Complete the profile, add value with the content, build community and take care of visibility.
My colleagues and former students often ask me for guidance on using LinkedIn, so I share some basic tips here, in case they are useful to other users.
- The profile must be complete in all its fields and up to date.
- Use a good photograph and link to the relevant own sites (website, Twitter).
- Always include an email address, preferably corporate.
- To describe capabilities and interests, use keywords strategically based on how you want to be found.
- Publish content on a regular basis, even if it only refers to professional matters.
- Alternate content from your own activities with others that add value to your professional field (highlighting events, books, reports, job offers, etc.).
- Recommend relevant content from third parties.
- Take care of the spelling and syntax of all content.
- Gradually join the relevant groups in your sector.
- Interact with other users moderately (commenting on their posts or answering their questions or surveys).
- Accept new links with criteria, after thoroughly reviewing the applicant’s profile.
- Request links moderately and justifying the reason.
- Customize the URL of your profile.
- Give visibility to the link of your profile in other networks, website and email signature.
- Occasionally, share your own featured article on other networks.
- Check your notifications and messages regularly.
For other developments, see the chapter “Empleo” in the book Culturas digitales (Ediciones Eunate, Pamplona, 2021).